A Well Designed Financial Plan Provides Independence
Our services are tailored to those who are currently in retirement or close to retirement with goals of maintaining or increasing wealth, creating a comfortable retirement income, and providing the means to appropriately distribute accumulated wealth to their heirs. We encompass all areas of financial planning and asset management.
When it comes to financial products, it can be difficult to keep up with all of the news about the latest technology and information. Managing your finances should not cause any undue stress or pose new challenges, especially in this post-2008 recession economy. We are here to provide you with a successful approach that combines our experience, knowledge, personalized service and proven results. We strive to assist you in becoming more confident about achieving your financial objectives. Providing solutions to both current and future goals, we understand the needs and risks of high-net-worth individuals.
Our Six Step Process is designed to simplify your path to achieve your goals:
- Discovery Phase. Your Biltmore Financial Advisor will develop a thorough understanding of your individual situation, available resources, risk tolerance, financial challenges and objectives.
- Solutions Analysis. We create a detailed, customized solution for your family, including portfolio recommendations, risk management, liability planning, tax mitigation, and estate planning. This analysis might include other personal financial services, such as concierge service and errand running, available to our Ultra High Net Worth clients.
- Private Banking Experience. Biltmore will provide online access to your investment accounts and introduce you to a full range of private banking services with custodial banks that we have partnered with. We will evaluate the most efficient ways for you to bank, assisting with checkbooks, monthly transfers, and account titles, and arrange for online bill pay.
- Private Vault Navigator. Our secure online vault and storage system can help you simplify your financial life. With one password, it aggregates all your investment and bank accounts, 401(k) and employee stock option plans, credit card and hotel reward points, frequent flier miles, liabilities such as mortgage and credit card balances, and home equity lines of credit.Your private vault also serves as an online document storage center, where you can view important documents such as digital pictures of valuables, digital video, estate plans and insurance policies.
- Personal Risk Analysis. Our risk review delivers an expert third-party evaluation to ensure that potential areas of exposure are minimized. Your various insurance policies – life, property, casualty, umbrella, auto – are reviewed by risk experts. With a focus on lowering your payments, we examine policies to identify any gaps between current coverage and your actual needs.
- The Strategy Snapshot. Your individual circumstances and financial needs are likely to change over time, as will economic and market conditions. Biltmore carefully monitors your portfolio and investment strategies on a weekly basis, suggesting changes to keep you and your family on course to realize your goals.
Biltmore is set apart from other financial advisors. Here’s why:
Independence is important in today’s world of asset management and finance. Having a fee-based firm void of the many conflicts of interest of the large institutions, such as proprietary products, commissions and other issues, allows our firm to partner with our clients, establish a plan, and together come up with customized strategies to help them reach their goals in the most tax-effective way possible within certain risk parameters. Having said this, it’s also important to be large enough to tackle complex financial planning issues, have the resources to be innovative when it comes to the changes in today’s marketplace, deliver not just asset management but a suite of services wealthy clients are looking for today, such as lending solutions, estate planning & tax strategies, in- depth financial planning capabilities, all delivered with superior client service. Thinking outside the box to tackle your needs, with your interests at the forefront of our minds, encompasses what our firm is about and sets us apart from our peers.
Are you ready for Retirement?
We can develop a strategy for you so that you can move forward with choices related to what you would like to do, instead of what you may feel compelled to do. Often times people make decisions in retirement without fully understanding the long-term impacts of these decisions on their plan, whether it’s purchasing that new home, helping the children or parents with living expenses, and more. At Biltmore, we have sophisticated financial planning technology which models these decisions and their short and long term ramifications. When this is done within a comprehensive framework taking into consideration taxes, inflation, income, expenses, portfolio performance and more, decisions can be made with confidence.
Frequently Asked Questions
Prior to hiring us as your financial advisor, you might have questions prepared in order to better understand our position. We’ve answered some of the most common questions below.
Are you a fiduciary?
In today’s world, more and more wealthy families are switching to advisors who are fiduciaries, which help to align long-term interests. Even for some of the most honest and ethical individuals, the ability to accept commissions on products can create conflicts. Additionally, when larger firms have their own mortgage companies, the advisors can be penalized for “selling away” and sending clients to other firms even if those rates are lower.
Wikipedia defines a Fiduciary as a person who holds a legal or ethical relationship of trust with one or more other parties. In a fiduciary relationship, one person, in a position of vulnerability, justifiably vests confidence, good faith, reliance, and trust in another whose aid, advice or protection is sought in some matter. In such a relationship, good conscience requires the fiduciary to act at all times for the sole benefit and interest of the one who trusts.
In most large broker/dealers, the financial advisor is technically a broker who alternatively has a reduced level of legal responsibility and as such, may have additional conflicts, such as selling proprietary products of the firm, the ability to collect commissions, and only be able to “sell” a certain suite of products rubber-stamped by his/her firm.
How do you charge for your services?
Fee-based planning is very important because it gives the ability to align interests vs. the old model of commissions which can produce an inherent conflict of interest for the advisor. At Biltmore, we have a flexible fee schedule which can be in the form of a traditional percentage of assets under management or a flat fee. For the flat fee program, only after a thorough analysis is done of the services needed, a flat fee is quoted based on the complexity of the work and billed on a quarterly basis. This type of fee gives us the ability to act alongside our clients as a fiduciary, void of many of the conflicts that exist in our industry.
What services do you/ does your firm provide?
In today’s world, many clients are looking for “one-stop shopping” when it comes to their asset management and financial planning. As a result, it’s important for a firm to have the resources and networks to bring solutions to the clients’ needs. At Biltmore, our services range from sophisticated asset management with a unique understanding of how alternative and hedging strategies can be used within portfolio management, financial planning services, lending solutions, private banking, and concierge and errand running services. Through our partners, we also offer services in estate planning, tax advice, insurance planning, and much more.
What types of clients do you specialize in?
Biltmore Capital Advisors handles the financial needs of families throughout the country. Our clients appreciate the customized solutions that we put together for them, as well as the “family” office environment that we create for them where they can get help in obtaining solutions to needs above and beyond simple asset management. In many cases, they are trying to figure out how to create stable sources of income within a given amount of risk or how much they need to save for retirement. Our clients have been successful in life whether it’s because of a liquidity event, an IPO, inheritance, or just hard work over the years. Each person brings a unique set of goals and concerns to our firm and we treat them with the attention and customization that they deserve.
Could I see a sample financial plan?
It’s important to ask to see an example of a financial plan. Many firms say that they can create a plan but it may be as simple as a short spreadsheet. Others, like Biltmore, can go into much more detail using sophisticated software to stress-test the situation for poor market conditions, inflation, purchase of another home and more. Biltmore Capital invests heavily in our financial planning software so we can deliver these high-level solutions to our clients through robust technology.
What is your investment approach?
The Keys to Long-Term Financial Success
- We view disciplined risk management through intelligent diversification, tax efficiency and fee efficiency as the keys to long-term financial success.
- Each client portfolio and its risk basis are reviewed regularly by our Investment Committee through the lens of emerging trends and opportunities, our outlook for the economy and global markets, downside risk management and changes in your personal situation. We only recommend changes when they are in your best interest.
More Opportunity with Alternative Investments
- Like the endowments of Princeton, Harvard and Yale Universities, Biltmore is committed to implementing investment strategies using both traditional and non-traditional asset classes. This approach can provide investors more effective diversification, alpha generation, and risk mitigation.
- In today’s complex and fast-changing investment world, alternative investment strategies are an important way to help mitigate risk and potentially enhance returns. Biltmore deploys a wide range of alternative strategies, taking both long and short positions in global markets including commodities, currencies, metals, interest rates and energy, which have the ability to add returns in ways that traditional markets cannot.
- As the window of opportunity for such investments can be brief, due diligence in manager selection is critical. We employ a due diligence process designed to identify alternative investment strategies we believe will complement and enhance our clients’ portfolios.
A Rigorous Due Diligence Process
- To help ensure that you receive the best in portfolio design and asset management, Biltmore conducts rigorous due diligence on each manager and product we invest with. This process enables us to identify innovative investment strategies and engage best-in-class asset managers to deliver more value for our clients at the lowest cost available.
- Biltmore owes no allegiance to any one firm. If we can’t find investment managers we believe will add value, we will instead use low-cost ETF strategies. Our goal is to find the most cost-effective solutions within each component of our clients’ portfolios.
How much contact do you have with your clients?
At Biltmore, we strive to have a proactive and high-touch client service platform. While it varies from client to client, our advisors like to have conversations monthly with our clients if possible (some clients get quarterly calls). These conversations may be about updates or changes to their planning, events in global markets, changes within the portfolio, investment committee discussions, performance reviews and more. We realize communication with your advisor is very important, which is why we track this internally to ensure our clients are getting the service they expect. In addition to this, we may host webinars which our clients can join to learn about some of our most recent thinking, or read our informative newsletters where we may talk about changes to tax law, estate planning laws, markets and more.
Will I be working only with you or with a team?
Each client of Biltmore is assigned a primary advisor and a team consisting of another advisor and administrative specialist. Normally, early in the week, your team talks about every single client they work with, issues the client is having and any potential changes to their situation. This gives the opportunity for members of the team to pitch in and debate these issues or opportunities and think outside the box about solutions. Often times we have one-off meetings with other specialists inside and outside the firm to debate issues and find additional resources to address client needs.
What makes your client experience unique?
Our founder spent almost a decade at Merrill Lynch World Headquarters in Manhattan and through that experience obtained a good understanding about what the larger firms deliver well and other areas which have conflicts of interest and may be improved upon. Through this experience, he started Biltmore Capital Advisors which was established to bring the benefits of a large firm, but with the attention to detail that a smaller boutique has to offer, void of many of the conflicts.
Our people: Our people genially care about each and every client. We understand that each client has a unique set of needs and concerns and we work hard every day to create value for each client in their own particular way. Our staff has a habit of thinking outside of the box to deliver solutions customized to each client in the form of asset management, financial planning, liability management, estate planning and more.
Our firm structure, being a registered investment advisor (RIA), enables us to deliver these solutions in a cost-effective way, void of many of the conflicts of the larger firms.